Thriller Annotation: The Silence of the Lambs


Author:
Thomas Harris

Title: The Silence of the Lambs

Genre: Thriller

Publication Date: July 1, 1988

Number of Pages: 436 (Kindle edition)

Geographical Setting: The United States (Baltimore, Memphis, Arkansas, and a few other locations)

Time Period: 1988

Series (If applicable): Hannibal Lecter

Plot Summary:

Smart, capable FBI student Clarice Starling finds herself with an opportunity to use her psychology and criminology background to help her higher-ups solve a high-alert serial murder case. The perpetrator known only as “Buffalo Bill” is at large, kidnapping young women and leaving their bodies to be found days later in various cities across the U.S., without a trace leading back to him. Starling interviews known serial murderer and psychiatrist, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, whose sociopathic genius may be useful in solving the case, if only Starling can get on his good side. When Buffalo Bill kidnaps a U.S. Senator’s daughter, the case gets national attention, throwing Starling into a race against time to unlock what Dr. Lecter knows and save the Senator’s daughter. In the process, she finds out: what is she willing to tell Hannibal Lecter about herself that will compel him to share his own secrets?

Subject Headings:

Lecter, Hannibal (Fictitious character), 1933- — Fiction.

Government investigators — Fiction.

Serial murderers — Fiction.

Serial murders — Fiction.

Thriller Appeal:

David and Goliath: Clarice, the young FBI student, is pitted against a huge man who has killed 6 women. She uses her wits to best him.

Expertise and Competency: Clarice can rattle off her FBI training like a computer. She is well-trained and ready to show her skills.

Amoral Heroes: Though far from a “hero,” we get insight into the mind of Hannibal Lecter and see his point of view. We gain an appreciation for his intellect and his scorn of some of the men who have imprisoned him.

Amateur and Jaded Professional: Clarice is the amateur, Crawford her jaded professional. He’s done all of this before (in a previous novel) with Hannibal.

3 terms that best describe this book:

Disturbing, Engaging, Horrific

Relevant Non-Fiction Works and Authors:

Mindhunter: Inside the FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker

Mindhunter is a perfect companion novel to this story because it dictates the inception of the Behavioral Crimes Unit of the FBI, which Starling is aspiring to work in someday. It gives an intriguing look into the real-life experience of FBI agents who worked with known serial killers to learn about those who are as yet uncaptured. It also has a fantastic tv adaptation, though it was canceled.

Zodiac: The Shocking True Story of the Hunt for the Nation’s Most Elusive Serial Killer by Robert Graysmith

Zodiac is a different take into hunting a serial killer. This story is told by a journalist who became so obsessed with the case, his personal life fell apart. However it is utterly fascinating to see what went on behind the scenes of this manhunt.

 

 

 

Relevant Fiction Works and Authors:

None Shall Sleep by Ellie Marney

This teen novel takes some notes from The Silence of the Lambs. Set in 1982, the book follows two teenagers, one the survivor of a serial killer and the other a US Marshall candidate. They are recruited by the FBI to work on cold cases, but soon after asked to help with an active case—a serial killer who seems to exclusively murders teens.

 

 

 Shutter Island by Dennis LeHane

U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels travels to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to investigate the disappearance of an inmate. Although little different from an FBI procedural, this murder mystery is incredibly fast-paced and includes similarly fascinating characters to The Silence of the Lambs.

Comments

  1. Hi Haley! Really thorough job with this review! I've never read any of the Hannibal Lecter books, but I am familiar with the movies and the television show. I especially what you highlighted in the Thriller Appeal section; the various tropes and themes are things I wouldn't necessarily have thought to include, but they're so helpful for identifying and illustrating elements of the book that I've been inspired to find genre specific things like this for my own annotations.

    What made you choose this book to read? Are you much of a fan of thrillers, or was this a new genre experience for you? Did you enjoy the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olivia! I decided to annotate this genre because I do love thrillers! For a while, they were the only books I could finish while I was in undergrad because I couldn't put them down. I decided on this book because it's become so legendary and seemed like a great opportunity to finally read it. I also really liked the movie, which I saw a few years ago. And yes, I really enjoyed reading it! It turns out that the movie is almost word-for-word to the book, which shows just how strong the writing is. I'd definitely read it if you like thrillers.

      Delete
  2. Hi Haley!

    I've been wanting to read this book for a long time, so I'm glad to see someone made annotations on it! I think you did a great job on this; there's a lot of detail to really let the reader know the book and whether it would be good for them. Like Olivia said previously, including the tropes was an interesting choice! Fans of the genre will immediately know what you're talking about, and it helps introduce the genre to new readers. I also think your recommended books sound interesting - I had no idea Shutter Island was a book. I loved the movie when it was released (though it has been awhile since I've last seen it) so I might have to check that out!

    Although this isn't part of the annotations, I'm curious: did you enjoy the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chloe! Shutter Island is a fantastic book, by the way, I read it really quickly. I also loved this book! I mentioned this to Olivia above, but it's exactly like the movie, maybe with a couple of extra scenes that flesh different characters out more. I would definitely check it out if you like thrillers. (fun fact... the actor who plays Buffalo Bill in "Silence" also plays a prison warden in the Shutter Island film!)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic annotation! This is one of my all time favorite books (and movies). Hannibal Lector is my favorite villain EVER. Excellent job on your summary, appeal and readalikes. Full points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannibal is fascinating in every iteration! I liked Mads Mikkelson's interpretation, but it's just hard to beat Sir Anthony Hopkins.

      Delete
  4. Hi Haley!

    I love the amount of detail you provided with this book, especially your thriller appeals description. I've been debating on watching the movie but I've been told it's a mind trip! What do you recommend? Book or movie? I may try the book first before attempting the movie -- haha. I am a huge crime fiction and true crime fan.

    Your recommended reads for both fiction and non-fiction are going straight to my to be read list, especially Zodiac and Shutter Island. I've been looking for some edge of your seat thriller/mystery/suspense reads and these all sound exactly like what I've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Hmm that's a hard one to answer. I'd say if you like true crime and aren't afraid of shocking visuals, it's hard to beat watching the movie play out. It's almost an exact depiction of the book, and even higher intensity because you see the climactic sequences play out on screen. It is shocking though, so the book would be easier to digest if you're worried about that.

      Shutter Island is fantastic as both book and film! I haven't actually read Zodiac yet but I saw the movie, which was really good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts