Week 3 Prompt: Novelist Suggestions

 

1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

The fourth book in the Anita Blake series is called The Lunatic Café. I found it by searching “Anita Blake” in the “series” tab!

 

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

The writing style in Prodigal Summer is described in Novelist as “descriptive; lush; lyrical.” I might suggest The Overstory by Richard Powers. It has similar green reads themes, and the writing style is lyrical as well. Since the story is issue-oriented, it might be a faster read!

 

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

I would suggest reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. The story is told from the point of view of a woman who was once one of the most celebrated geishas in Japan. From her childhood in 1929 to the present day, her compelling life story is full of rich detail.

 

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

If you like Elizabeth George, she has lots of great mysteries to choose from! This Body of Death: an Inspector Lynley Novel is another book in the same series as the one you liked, and is one of her most popular books.

 

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

First, The Walking Dead is actually a series so he could read more sequels if he’d like to. Since both The Walking Dead and World War Z were turned into successful screen adaptations, he might try reading Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. It’s another book-turned-film, this time set from the zombie’s point of view. If that one has too lighthearted of a tone, he could try Day By Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne, a more serious zombie apocalypse story.

 

6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

An adaptation of Persuasion by Jane Austen was just released last summer! The book of course is much older, but you might try it since you like literary novels. A book released in 2017, Wonder by Emma Donoghue, was released even more recently, back in November.

 

7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.

Mary Higgins Clark is known for writing clean, fast-paced thrillers. She would be a great author to start with since she has a lot of popular books! One of her most successful novels is Where Are the Children? You might start there.

 

How do I find new books to read?

Like many others, I’m sure, I have a Goodreads account that I use to keep track of the books I want to read. I often decide on my next book through word-of-mouth, though! Sometimes I post on Facebook asking for recommendations. I think it’s fun to read books that I know my friends have read. It feels like more of a communal activity to me that way.

I will say, I had a lot of fun exploring Novelist for this assignment! I found the descriptions on the read-alikes really interesting and helpful. Often times after I finish a book, I want to read one that will give me a similar feeling as I read it. I may try using Novelist the next time that happens!

Comments

  1. Hi Haley, great choices! I also am an avid Goodreads user, and love finding titles through word-of-mouth. I like that you mentioned it feels communal reading the same books as friends. It is really nice being able to discuss with people! I also plan on using Novelist more in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley,
    I like that you mentioned the tone of Prodigal Summer, it gave reason as to why you made the choice you did to recommend this to the patron! I think its funny that so many of us were recommending Mary Higgins Clark, but she really is the perfect recommendation for this question! I am also a Goodreads user and I too really enjoy the communal aspect of the site and the additional folders, challenges, and connection to authors!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts